After a year of work and 60+ bugfixes and improvements, the Exaile developers are happy to announce that Exaile 3.4.0 "we're not dead yet" has been released!
About the codenameExaile has existed since 2006, and had a lot of rapid development until 2010 or so. At that point, development slowed down considerably, but since 2012 development has continued at a slow but steady rate. A number of you have asked whether the project is dead yet -- and the answer is a resounding NO. Exaile is a mature, stable audio player, and does much of what we want it to do, and does it well. The current development team uses Exaile on a regular basis, and will continue to add improvements and fix bugs as needed. To reflect this reality, the codename for this release is "we're not dead yet".
Major new features/bugfixesThis release has fixed a lot of really annoying bugs and improved overall usability, while adding new plugins with new features. The full list of bugfixes/features can be viewed on launchpad.
- Audio output device can now be switched while playing songs
- Official support for OSX!
- Improved unicode support
- An option has been added to disallow playback while another song is playing (great for DJs)
- Linux: UDisks/UDisks2 support
- Covers: cover manager improvements, saving to disk
- Playlists can be shown in multiple panes
- The left tab panels are now closable
- BPM counter plugin has better UI integration
Enhanced smart playlists
- Create playlists based on other playlists
- Support for filtering over 20 different tag types
- A simpler plugin API is available (but the old one still works!)
- Plugin manager doesn't show users potentially broken plugins anymore
- New plugins: console, Icecast Radio, lyricsmania, mono output, playlist analyzer, Soma.FM
- Broken/old plugins removed: lyricsfly, shoutcast
- Fixes/improvements for various plugins
- Improved bootup times for Windows
- Installer has support for 64-bit python
- Exaile restart doesn't break
- Improved multimedia keys plugin
Exaile 3.4 is in our opinion the best release of Exaile yet, and we hope that you like the new features as much as we do. Exaile is a truly cross-platform audio player, with downloads available for Linux, Windows, and OSX. User and developer documentation is available at http://exaile.readthedocs.org/en/latest/.
Moving to github
As of today, the launchpad repositories are deprecated and source code in bazaar will no longer be updated. Our new home is on github, at https://github.com/exaile-dev/exaile. Please file all new bugs on the issues tracker on github. In the near future, we will try to move relevant bugs from launchpad to github, close out all the bugs on launchpad, and close the launchpad bug tracker. We look forward to your pull requests
An exaile 3.4 release has been a long time coming. There are a TON of new features and fixes that are present in this release -- we'll provide a highlights summary for the official 3.4 release. However, you can see the launchpad page for a complete list of the bugs fixed in 3.4.
Despite being labeled a 'beta', this release should be stable for most users. The main reason for labeling it a 'beta' is that there are still a number of important fixes/features we'd like to get out there, but there's already so many features in that we want others to use.
Please try it out and report any bugs that you may find! We're hoping for a 3.4 final release by the end of the summer.
- Tracks were sometimes selected incorrectly when searching a playlist
- Sometimes the main window wouldn't appear when minimizing to the system tray
- More tags supported for MP4/M4A/FLAC/OGG files
- Locale bugs when executing --help
- Updated Windows installer dependency download versions
- Fixed plugins: librivox